Affirmation of Faith and Purpose
The Dranesville Church of the Brethren:
- Is founded upon the faith that there is but one Creator and sustaining God who manifests himself in three persons as our loving Father, as Jesus Christ the Son, and as the Holy Spirit.
- Accepts Jesus Christ as Savior, the author and perfecter of our faith, the Lord of the church and of all life.
- Understands that the Holy Spirit is at work in our hearts and minds, reminding us of God, encouraging our faith, giving us guidance and comfort, empowering us to do the Lord's will, and uniting us as believers with our Lord and with one another.
- Believes that the Scripture is the inspired Word of God and holds the New Testament as our creed and rule of faith. All of the Holy Scripture records God's search for humankind, which is climaxed in God's redemptive act in and through Christ. Through his Holy Word, God still speaks and continues to accomplish his redemptive purposes.
- Confesses our propensity toward sin, which separates us from God. We thus have a fundamental need for a Savior.
- Proclaims the Gospel as the good news that God reconciled the world unto himself through Christ. God's sovereign will and his redeeming grace are revealed to all who accept Jesus Christ as Savior.
- Holds that the church is the Body of Christ and is under God's mandate to be faithful in accepting and transmitting the Gospel in word and deed.
- Considers that all members of the congregation are parts in the Body of Christ and that each of us is ultimately responsible for the ministry of the church.
- Commissions the ministry of the church to be the proclamation of the Gospel, the extension of Christ's reconciliation to all people both near and far, and the nurture of individual believers in the Christian life and faith.
- Provides opportunities for people to gain entrance into the Body of Christ through profession of faith, with baptism being a desired outward expression of one's inward conversion.
- Supports a continuing relationship with, and participation in, the life and work of the Church of the Brethren, our spiritual forebears in the faith, and upholds the denomination's teachings and practices as they coincide with the Holy Scriptures.
- Desires ongoing dialogue with Christian believers in our community, in our denomination, in ecumenical circles and beyond, to encourage the service of the Lord Jesus and His Church.
- Looks forward to the return of Christ and the establishment of his everlasting kingdom and strives to continue the love, forgiveness, and work of Jesus, simply, peacefully, and together.
The core values and commitments of the Dranesville Church are expressed in the following acrostic:
- Petition God's Power in Prayer and Worship
- Energize Faith and Discipleship
- Apply Christ's Teachings in Our Daily Living
- Create Opportunities to Serve God and Humankind
- Extend Hospitality and Fellowship to All
Vision and Mission
Our vision is to promote God's love and peace among ourselves, the community, and the world. Our mission is "to know Christ and to make Him known as we continue the work of Jesus, simply, peacefully, together.